Friday, September 30, 2011

First Consultation!

I'd been wondering if I would get a consultation before I was officially on the clock, because a few other 303ers have.  So I came in on Tuesday, and got one!  There I was, feeling simultaneously excited and terrified for next week, and then I got catapulted in a bit early.

I was much less nervous than I thought I would be, which was cool.  The writer was working on a personal essay, which is totally my forte. That was awesome, and it made me less twitchy.  I'd had myself half-convinced I'd have an hour-long appointment for a paper about quantum physics for my first consultation.  But, it went really well, and it helped that the writer was really friendly and open and had quite a good first draft.

Anyways, we worked on re-writing his conclusion and breaking up his page-and-a-half long paragraphs full of beautiful descriptions and wandering ideas.  He was really a good writer--his topic was great and well thought out, and I was a bit jealous of his skill with descriptive writing.  He seemed insecure about his own writing skill, though.  It was his first time writing a personal essay, and he seemed suspicious that I wasn't telling him to completely rewrite.

Overall, it was a fun appointment.  His paper was about going kayaking in Hawaii, so it was full of all sorts of Hawaiian words that he had to tell me how to pronounce as I read through his paper.  We laughed about how bad I was at it, which did a lot to help me feel more comfortable.  I like laughing. :)

1 comment: